Twelve chapters were commissioned to experts around the Asia Pacific to examine how government, civil society, corporations, and media are responding to the rising tide of HIV/AIDS infection that is afflicting the region. These chapters portray a surprising diversity of experiences. Countries such as Australia had early, concentrated epidemics. Others, like China, are experiencing rapidly growing epidemics. Thailand has seen high but declining prevalence rates, while Vietnam is seeing exponential growth in rates among specific populations, particularly intravenous drug users. Meanwhile, Japan and others still have low prevalence rates, but need to remain vigilant and active if they are to avoid an epidemic.
The varied responses by each society to the rising threat offer critical and practical lessons. Equally important is the increasing recognition that many problems contributing to the spread of HIV/AIDS are cross-border issues that must be addressed collaboratively. This volume provides detailed analyses by experts in the field who offer insight into the efforts occurring in their own societies to fight the spread of HIV/AIDS.
- Overview [PDF 100kb]
- Tadashi Yamamoto, Director, Friends of the Global Fund Japan; President, Japan Center for International Exchange
- Australia [PDF 260kb]
- William Bowtell, Senior Research Associate, Lowy Institute for International Policy
- Cambodia [PDF 476kb]
- Sisowath Doung Chanto, Assistant Dean and Lecturer, Faculty of Social Sciences and International Relations, Pannasastra University
- China [PDF 144kb]
- Wu Zunyou, Director, National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Sheena Sullivan, health researcher, National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Indonesia [PDF 508kb]
- Nafsiah Mboi, Senior Advisor, Indonesian National AIDS Commission
- Karen Houston Smith, Deputy Director, Family Health International Indonesia
- Japan [PDF 692kb]
- Satoko Itoh, Chief Program Officer, Japan Center for International Exchange
- Republic of Korea [PDF 100kb]
- Shin Surin, Chief of the AIDS Program, Korean Alliance to Defeat AIDS
- Lao PDR [PDF 308kb]
- Chanthone Khamsibounheuang, Deputy Director, Center for HIV/AIDS and STI; National Project Director, Lao PDR HIV/AIDS Trust Project
- Malaysia [PDF 76kb]
- Rozaidah Talib, Member, Parliament of Malaysia
- The Philippines [PDF 216kb]
- Eugenio M. Caccam, Jr. , independent consultant; former Associate Director, Philippine Business for Social Progress(PBSP)
- Taiwan [PDF 404kb]
- Steve Hsu-Sung Kuo, Director, Taiwan Center for Disease Control
- Tsai Su-Fen, Former Director, AIDS and STDs Division, Taiwan Center for Disease Control Huang
- HUANG Yen-Fang, Deputy Director, First Branch Office, Taiwan Center for Disease Control
- Thailand [PDF 144kb]
- Wiput Phoolcharoen, freelance researcher; Former Director, Health System Research Institute
- Vietnam [PDF 384kb]
- Pham Sanh Chau, Deputy Director General, Institution for International Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Copyright © 2006 Japan Center for International Exchange
ISBN: ISBN 4-88907-077-X
294 pages; paper
In North America and Europe, please order from The Brookings Institution (Fax: 202-797-6004; E-mail: BIBOOKS@brook.edu).
In Japan, please order from Far Eastern Booksellers (Fax: 03-3265-4656; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org); Japan Center for International Exchange (publication ordering information); or Kinokuniya Company Ltd. (Fax: 03-3439-0839; E-mail: email@example.com).
In Asia, please order from The Brookings Institution (Fax: 202-797-6004; E-mail BIBOOKS@brook.edu).