Global Health and Human Security
On June 29 to July 5, 2014, JCIE organized a press tour that brought a delegation of journalists from Japan to several locations in Myanmar to examine the country’s development through the lens of the country’s healthcare system. The tour was conducted as part of JCIE’s Global Health and Human Security Program and aimed to revitalize the domestic dialogue within Japan about how it can contribute to global health.
JCIE selected Myanmar as the destination for the first year of the program in light of that country’s rapid democratization and economic reform in recent years, the accelerated pace of Japan’s investments there, and the priority position it holds in Japan’s ODA programs. During the tour, participants observed urban hospitals as well as rural grassroots initiatives, while also meeting with local health officials, healthcare and development experts, and journalists.
► Program and Participant List (PDF)
- "Myanmaa to Nihon (5)—'Mendomi no yosa' hyoban teichaku" (August 28,2014)
- "Myanmaa to Nihon (4)—Nyugan kenshin 'yushutsu' no kokoromi" (August 27, 2014)
- "Myanmaa to Nihon (3)—Genba aruite mararia taisaku" (August 28, 2014)
- "Myanmaa to Nihon (2)—Nyujiki no shien ni juten ni utsusu" (August 25, 2014)
- "Myanmaa to Nihon (1)—Boshi hoken suishinin wo donyu" (August 22, 2014)
- Editorial: "Tojokoku no iryo ni Nihon no chie wo" (August 27, 2014)
- "Iizuru kuni shinchoryu wo tsukamu (1)—Byoin marugoto sekai ni yushutsu, shusenjo wa shinkokoku Nihonshiki de ressei bankai" (August 24, 2014)
- "Kantan de wa nai iryo yushutsu" (July 21, 2014)
- "Akachan to hahaoya no inochimamori, osan sasaeru 'bosuisan' Myanmaa ni hirogaru" (September 17, 2014)
- "Hoken saabisu wo yushutsu suru, Myanmaa no genba kara—Nihon no seicho senryaku, mina hoken naku takai futan ga kadai" (August 26, 2014)
- "Hoken saabisu wo yushutsu suru, Myanmaa no genba kara—Kokkyo koeru kansensho to no tatakai mararia taisaku" (August 25, 2014)
- "Myanmaa: Ishi-busoku oginau borantia, chiho de jumin katsuyaku" (August 23, 2014)
- "(@Yangon) Nihonjin mo hitoyaku, Myanmaa hoken iryo"（August 16, 2014)
- "'Hoken iryo no tatenaoshi kyumu' Myanmaa no hokenso ga uttae" (July 5, 2014)
- The exchange between journalists from Japan and Myanmar was covered in Myanmar's weekly publication, Health Digest (July 9, 2014; vol. 11, no. 39).