A Historical Chronology of JCIE
The Early Years: Programs with the United States
JCIE evolved from two predecessors, the Association of International Education and the Japan Council for International Understanding.
US Congressional delegation to Japan, including Edmund Muskie, Mo Udall, Hugh Scott, Donald Rumsefeld, and Howard Baker.
• 2nd Japanese-American Assembly "Shimoda Conference" (Shimoda, Japan)
• US-Japan Parliamentary Exchange Program: 1st US Congressional Delegation to Japan
Tokusaburo Kosaka welcoming US Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield at the first Shimoda Conference.
• JCIE's predecessor, the Japan Council for International Understanding, cosponsored the 1st Japanese-American Assembly (1st Shimoda Conference). As the first regular private dialogue between senior Japanese and American leaders, the Shimoda Conference represented a landmark shift in US-Japan relations.
• 2nd Japanese School Teachers' Study Tour to the United States
• 1st Japanese School Teachers' Study Tour to the United States under the Japanese-American Teachers Exchange program